Saturday, September 19, 2009

Farewell Skeeter

DISCLAIMER!!!
This is such a sad story. So, if you are not in the mood to cry, please do not continue reading!
We added a new member to our family about two months ago. His name was Skeeter. He was chubby and orange and even had a little orange mohawk like Mr. Bentley. He was such a sweet little fishy and we loved him so much. He did have his issues, like a constant stinky fish bowl, but who doesn't?
Well Taylor left for a business trip this last weekend and of course being the scardy cat that I am had to go and stay up with my parents. Before Bentley and I left for the week we loaded Skeeter up with tons of fishy food. I had full intentions of stopping by throughout the week to feed him, but just didn't have the chance. I was only gone for three days so I thought for sure he would be just fine. I figured fish were like humans and could survive quite awhile without food. Boy was I wrong!
I got home late Friday night and was so nervous and scared to go inside. I knew deep down inside that our little Skeeter was going to be gone. I left Bentley in the garage for a minute so he didn't have to see his little fishy floating upside down. And floating upside down he was. So sad. I hurried and called Taylor in tears and felt like such an abuser. It was all my fault. I feel terrible and so guilty. I hope Skeeter will someday forgive me! Thank heavens Bentley doesn't understand what happened because I'm sure he would be appaled by my actions. So there it is...little Skeets is gone. May he rest in peace!

5 comments:

Thompson Family said...

Jana, don't beat yourself up. Fish are fickle and in all honesty are pretty hard to keep alive. That's why I have yet to get one. The fact that he lived as long as he did is a miracle in and of itself. :) Just be glad you had the time you had with him! I love you tons and I'm so excited that we will have two full weeks of fun together at Christmas!!! I miss you sis!

Ryan said...

When we first got Bradford (our beta), McKenzie constantly worried if s/he was getting enough food. One night Kenz couldn't sleep because she was so worried about it.

Anyway, that was random, but if you want a beta to calm your aching heart, Bradford is all yours.

Mary and Ryan Dick family said...

Ah Jana!! I know how it feels to lose a loved one!! I had a fish named Rocky and he was such a survivor and had been through so much (seriously, ask me about it sometime:)) And when he finally died I was so sad that I had a burial with my friend up the canyon for him!! PS thanks for all you have done fro my sis and her hubby- you guys are the best!!

Ashley said...

Oh Jana, you and your tender heart. I assure you that Skeeter went to the fish Celestial kingdom and is happy and healthy and has all the food he could ever need. That's sad. No more pets?

Nicole said...

Sydney will be so sad...no more Skeeter to feed. :( It is sad, but just think, no more stinky fishbowl to clean. :)