So today the saddest thing happened to my little guy at Costco. Every now and then I let Bentley stand up in the back of the shopping cart because he gets bored and fussy sitting in the front just looking at me the whole time. So today while shopping around, I thought I would let him get in the back so he would have more fun. I usually always make sure he is sitting on his bum...but I didn't today and am now so dissapointed that I didn't. He was standing up in the middle and as I tried to slow my cart down for a man that was coming our way, the momentum threw Bentley off balance and he went head first over the back of the cart. It was like slow motion. The fall felt like ten minutes when in reality it was about ten milliseconds. And there was not a thing I could do about it. He supermaned over the front, doing a front flip and landed on his back on the hard concrete floor. It was awful and I am crying just recounting the memory. I of course freaked out...but the real kicker is that not one person stopped to help me help my son. They all just stared and walked on by. It was horrible to say the least, but thankfully my little buddy is okay. Miraculously nothing was broken or damaged. And I am just so thankful that we have a Heavenly Father who is watching out for our little ones. I did however learn a very valuable lesson...never again will I let my kids stand or sit in the back of the cart. Disaster averted. I love my little buddy and am so grateful for his loving, forgiving nature. He is so patient with me as I am still learning. He is such a stinkin sweetie and cutie pie and I am grateful to have him in my life!
Glow Stick Baby
2 days ago

8 comments:
Oh Jana! The EXACT same thing happened to Hailey when she was about Bentley's age. In Costco. Same kind of fall. Landed in the same way. I remember feeling the exact same way as you did. I cried in the store. And the worst part, not only did no one help us, I got a number of looks and shaking heads, as if to say, "You should know better, you stupid lady." It was terrible. But our kids are resilient and I promise Bentley won't remember. Hailey doesn't....and she STILL stands in the cart now and again.
I always let my kids sit in the back of the cart, but they did have to be on their bums. That being said, one time I had Makenna in her infant seat (she was only a few weeks old) propped on the cart. Chandler went to stand on the cart, you know, how they stand on the bar and ride? Anyway, he started to fall and reached out and grabbed her car seat. Over she went! The whole seat, Makenna included, did a complete flip and landed right side up on the floor. She slept through the fun, but it sure scared me to death. The joys of motherhood.
Unfortunately, it won't probably be the last time your kids will "get hurt" and you'll feel you should have done something differently. One time, I actually slammed Carter's HEAD in the sliding van door! He had a goose egg on both sides of his head! I felt pretty bad about that one. But, like Grandmama always told me:
"The Lord watches out for babies and drunks."
Thanks, Grandmama!
I know the feeling all too well. And it sounds like we are not the only ones. Grace fell out of the cart while I was in Target, head first! Luckily noone else was around to witness the experience. I rarely let my kids sit (because they always end up standing) in the back of the cart. Sorry that you and your cute Bentley had to go through that.
Oh my gosh, I am so thankful he is okay. I can tell you a few stories just like this one that have happened to my kids. I hate to tell you this, I am sure you already know, but this is just the beginning. It never ceases to break your heart or worry you or make you cry. It doesn't matter how old they are, you will feel responsible in some way, and terrible. God is watching over our little angels though.
For what its worth, I would have stopped and helped you and probably would have cried with you too.
I have already bestowed this award on myself multiple times so you will have to share it with me. Sorry.
I always feel so bad when things happen to my kids that I could have prevented, but they are tough and we learn from each mistake. Just think...when you have your seventh kid, you'll know it all! :) If only it worked that way.
Glad little Bentley's ok! Thanks for posting this, I have been known to allow the same thing, and I will make sure not to do it from now on! I'm sorry no one stopped to help!
You are totally NOT a bad mommy. It happens to the best of us! My daughter fell out a couple weeks ago head first and now when she asks to sit in the back of the cart I remind her and she won't ask again. I usually let my kids get out and walk if they are getting restless in the cart. But they have to hold onto my pocket or belt loop. One thing my SIL told me to do, which I think is brilliant, is to give them a movie to watch. If you happen to have an iPod nano, download cartoons and let them watch something while you shop. It's amazing!!!
And just to make every mom out there feel much better... 'Cause I take the award... When my oldest daughter was a baby my husband and I were trying to get her to sleep through the night. One time she woke up crying and we kept telling each other, "No, we are not going to give her a bottle. No, we are not going to get her out of bed. She's old enough to sleep through the night." She cried for about an hour and then finally went back to sleep. My husband went to get her up the next morning and as he opened the door he bumped into a little baby asleep on the floor. She fell out of her crib!!! And then we let her cry herself to sleep without any blankets on herself!!! I get the "Bad Mommy Award"... Well, I get to share it with my husband who was my partner in this event.
Post a Comment